Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Christmas in August!

Not really. But that's what this blog post will be focused on. I told you all about the hat I'm making for my niece, Sydney, last post, so here's the rest of the list. But before I get to that...

I think I mentioned a few months ago (June?) about how I had purchased the interchangeable circular needle set from Knit Picks. I got the nickle plated set, and really have enjoyed them. Until a few days ago. I'm knitting Sydney's hat magic loop method, so I'm using my interchangeable circs from the Knit Picks set. Everything was going along fine until I realized that one of my needles kept coming loose. I would re-tighten with the little tool they give you, but a few rounds later, it would be loose again. Then I realized that the needle head must be stripped inside, because I could keep turning the needle even when it should have stopped. No biggie, I thought, I'll just finish Sydney's hat and deal with it and then order new size 6 needles in my next order from them. Last night was the final straw. It was gotten so bad that the needle and cable came apart because there was hardly any tension from the grooved part of the inside of the needle tip (does that make sense?!?). Anyway, I don't think I'm hard on needles, I've never had a problem like this before (Knit Picks needles or not). So that's that. I have to wait the week or so to get my tips in because I'm not going to have the needle fall apart on me again and have to go fishing for stitches.

Anyway, on to THE LIST. Since I already told you what I'm making for Sydney, I'll start with her sisters. Hannah is 13, and Brandee is 10, and I'm giving them both fetchings in their favorite colors. I had mentioned I was making fingerless gloves for a friend of mine, and they both wanted a pair, so I thought that would be a nice, easy, and quick gift for the. I'm using Knit Picks Shine Worsted for those. I'm also making my dad and brother hats. I'll use Stepanie Pearl-McPhee's no pattern hat pattern (same as Sydney's) and add striped in colors they like. They both wear beanie type hats outside a lot, so I know they will appreciate and use them.

Those are the major presents I'm making for Christmas. You will notice they are all small, relatively easy, and quick. I want to make hand knit gifts, but I don't want to go crazy trying to make sure they are done by Christmas. Also in my Ravelry queue is the Invisibility Shawl out of Charmed Knits. I'm not really a lace person, but I liked the simplicity of this, and I will make the small one so I can wear it more like scarf. I got some Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud to make this. Also, some friends of mine are gatting married in May, and I want to make them some washcloths and dishtowels. More on that as it gets closer as I am still debating what exactly to do.

Am I crazy for having all this planned out already?

No comments:

Post a Comment