Saturday, June 27, 2009

Sydney's Thorpe

So I have started the first of three earflap hats for my nieces for Christmas. I know its kind of early, but I want to make a lot of my Christmas gifts this year, and since I'm making three I wanted to spread them out a little bit. I started it this morning. Here is a pictorial status update:

Not too shabby for a half hour's work. I really like how it is coming out so far. I have to say, I was a little confused on the sizing. I figured when it had small, medium, and large, they were adult sizes, because they show adults (or at least teenagers) modeling the hats in the pictures. However, when I compared the finished circumfrences with those in Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's book Knitting Rules, the small would fit a 1-2 year old! Not going to fit my 5 year old niece. So I kept increasing for the mediu msize, which should fit her all right, if not be a little large. The only problem I am having now is I don't know what size to make for her older sisters, who are 11 and 13. Probably just make the adult size. Better too big than to small, right?

I'm using knit picks interchangeable circs for this project and I am really enjoying working with them. I wish they made a smaller cable though, because the 24" that came with the set is just tooo big to work nicely. I have to keep doing this weird shifting and pulling cable through thing every 12 stitches or so. But other than that, they are nice and sharp and have smooth joins.


Kitty can sleep anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment